The Aftershave International Artists Workshop was set up in Nigeria in 1998. The Workshop wanted to promote all aspects of the visual arts as vital instrument in national development.
The main objectives included:
- Bringing together artists from diverse backgrounds to share personal and cultural experiences for the growth of universal understanding and tolerance;
- Educating visiting artists to appreciate better both traditional and contemporary Nigerian art by providing them a first hand encounter with the situation of, and the inspiration and motivation for their production;
- Challenging the creative instinct of the participants by setting up a unique atmosphere different from what obtains in their individual studios;
- Encouraging a process of network through which Nigerian artists can benefit from further collaborations with fellow artists abroad; and
- Producing resource materials through documentation for use in art instructions as well as for creating artistic awareness among the Nigerian public.